In writing about our personal experiences, we sometimes mention products or services that we use or recommend. This page may contain affiliate links for which we receive a commission.
As a teen with extremely large feet, my mother would often promise me that I was certain to get taller considering my big feet. She felt that no one with such large feet would stay so short. She was wrong.
Now my daughter is faced with the same dilemma. She is about 5-foot 2-inches and her feet are size 9-1/2. She is only 12. So on her behalf, I am praying for a few more inches of height with minimum foot growth.
In the meantime, we need to just embrace our large feet.
Here are some fun facts about big feet…
World Record Feet
The record for the person with the biggest feet in the world is held by an American named Robert Wadlow.
His feet were 47cm long and he wore size 37 shoes!
Another American, Mr. Matthew McGrory claims to have the largest feet in the world (a discrepancy from the previous fact, but worth mentioning).
McGrory is 7-foot 4-inches tall and his big feet are a whopping size 28-1/2. He has to fork out a massive $22,745 for a pair of shoes to fit his unusually large feet!
Interesting Foot Facts
Nine out of 10 women are wearing shoes that are too small simply because they believe the theory “if the shoe fits, wear it.”
During the first year of a child’s life, their feet grow rapidly — reaching almost half their adult size. By the age of 12, a child’s foot is about 90% of its adult length. (This means my daughter’s feet will grow at least another shoe size.)
It’s rare that both of a person’s feet would be exactly the same size; one of them is often larger than the other.
More facts about feet.
Big Feet and Medical Research
There are many reasons for a person to have big feet:
- You may have inherited big feet.
- Your large feet may have resulted from a medical cause.
- There are diseases that make feet larger.
It’s worth noting… if you think you are having problems with your big feet, then you should consult a doctor.
How To Make Big Feet Appear Smaller
- While high heels may not be as good for your big feet (or body), they will make your feet look smaller.
- When wearing sandals, choose sandals with thick straps, rather than thin straps.
- Shoes in darker colors will make your big feet appear smaller than shoes in light or pastel shades.
Narrow shoe styles might be a good thing if you think your feet look too wide, but if it’s the length of your feet that is keeping you up at night, you definitely want to steer clear of slim shoes with pointy toes. — Source
More About Big Feet
- How Big Is A Foot? (by Rolf Myller)
- What Do Big Feet Mean? (5 pages of opinions)
- Finding The Right Shoes To Fit Big Feet (tips from FootSmart)
- Never Marry A Woman With Big Feet (by Mineke Schipper)
- Really Big Feet (an online shoe store)
- Memories of Hate, Love and Big Feet (by Barbara Zaloom)
- 2 Big Feet (large men’s shoes)
- Pete Has Big Feet (by David Hollaway)
I have been a certified tightwad since I became pregnant with my first child and decided to find a way to stay home with him. I enjoy sharing my experiences in my journey back to financial health and planning for a future — which will include sending 2 kids to college and early retirement.